I understand the pressures for growth and for creating jobs and ask all to embrace the idea that the future wealth is in having Natural Areas. Its not only wealth but social cohesion and happiness.
People feel good when they are in beautiful natural areas. People will come to these areas to experience this magnificence and then go back rejuvenated into their places of work etc as better people.
All decision making should ask how many of the following areas of existance a certain action benefits –
1) the self
2) the immediate family and relationship
3) the group (this includes everything from small groups to all Australians)
4) All of Humanity
5) Plants and Animals – all in the Natural Living World
6) The physical world – waters, oceans, rocks…
7) The Spirit realm
8) The coming together in harmony of all things – including under various names of ‘God’
Protecting large and diverse areas of marine ecosystems will result in positive influences along many of these 8 areas of existance while industrialisation and exploitation will contribute positively to a few and negatively too many.
For the Future – we can’t eat money – we can live and thrive with joy and jobs based on clean and green and tourism. I’m in full support of protecting large areas as Marine Sanctuaries.